Eichelberger, Lewis, Dd
Eichelberger, Lewis, D.D.
a Lutheran minister, was born in Frederick County, Maryland, August 25, 1803. At an early age he attended the school in Frederick under the care of David F. Schaeffer, D.D. Subsequently he was taken to Georgetown, D. C., and entered Reverend Dr. Carnahan's classical school. He graduated from Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in 1826, and with the first class at the Gettysburg Theological Seminary. On October 21, 1828, he was licensed to preach. His first charge was the Lutheran Church in Winchester, Virginia, in connection with which he also served three other congregations. In the spring of 1833 he resigned the pastorate in Winchester, but still preached to the three neighboring churches. At this period he opened a female seminary in Winchester, which he successfully conducted for several years. He temporarily edited a political weekly journal, and for a time the Evangelical Lutheran Preacher, afterwards merged in the Lutheran Observer. In 1849 he was elected professor of theology in the Lexington (S.C.) Lutheran Seminary, where he labored for nine years. In 1858 he returned to Winchester, devoting himself to literature. At this time he began his History of the Lutheran Church. Among other offices of trust to which he was elected by the synod he was a trustee of Pennsylvania College and a director of the Gettysburg Theological Seminary. He died September 16, 1859. See Evangelical Review, 14:293.