Edson, Theodore, Dd, Lld
Edson, Theodore, D.D., LL.D.
an Episcopal clergyman, was born at Bridgewater, Massachusetts, August 24, 1793, being descended fifth in the line from Samuel Edson, who came to Salem soon after the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, and was one of the original fifteen proprietors of the town of Bridgewater. Theodore received his academic education at the Andover Phillips Academy; graduated at Harvard College in 1822; studied theology with the Reverend Dr. Jarvis of Boston; and in March 1824, conducted the first religious service in East Chelmsford, now Lowell, after John Eliot, the apostle to the Indians. In April of the same year ground was broken for St. Anne's Church, which was consecrated in March 1825, at which time Dr. Edson was admitted to full orders. From that time until within a few days of his last illness he conducted the services of that Church "with dignity, solemnity, and impressiveness." He died in Lowell, after a long, useful, and singularly devoted life, June 25, 1883. — Boston Advertiser, June 26, 1883. (J.C.S.)