Drew, Daniel for many years a noted capitalist and railroad director in New York, and mentioned here for his acts of Christian munificence, was born at Carmel, Putnam County, N.Y., July 29, 1797. When fifteen years old he enlisted as a substitute in the state militia; and with the bounty money as a capital, became a cattledrover. In 1829 he opened a cattle yard in New York; in 1834 went into the steamboat business; became a stock-broker and banker in 1844. In middle life Mr. Drew united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he ever after remained an humble and faithful member. In 1866 he founded Drew Theological Seminary at Madison N.J., by a gift of $500,000, paying over to its trustees in all not far from $750,000. He gave $250,000 for the founding of the Drew Seminary for Young Ladies, at Carmel. He also built a fine church at his native place, and another at Brewsters; in addition, he freely gave to many other benefactions. Mr. Drew was remarkably bold and successful in his enterprises, but, to use his own words, he "got caught at last," and in 1876 was a poor man. He died September 18, 1879, regretting chiefly his inability to carry out his benevolent enterprises. See Simpson, Cyclop. of Methodism; Christian Advocate (N.Y.), 1879, page 616.