Dean, Henry archbishop of Canterbury, was born about 1430, and was probably educated at St. Mary's College, Oxford, but also studied at Cambridge. He seems to have been one of the black canons, and was prior at Llanthony, in Monmouthshire, before 1481. On September 13, 1494, he was constituted lord chancellor of Ireland; was consecrated bishop of Bangor, October 6, 1496, where he accomplished wonders in the way of restoring cathedrals, and rebuilding the palace. He was translated to the see of Salisbury, Aug. 23, 1499, and was at the same time appointed registrar of the Order of the Garter. He occupied the see of Salisbury little more than a year. During this time he received the great seal, under the title of lord-keeper. He was appointed to the see of Canterbury about 1501. His health began to fail in 1502, and he died February 15, 1506. See Hook, Lives of the Abps. of Canterbury, 5:500 sq.