Dana, Gideon a Congregational minister, was born at Oxford, Massachusetts, September 11, 1805. In 1830 he graduated from Brown University, and in 1836 from Bangor Theological Seminary — although part of his professional studies were pursued at Princeton, N.J. For a time he preached. at North Falmouth, Massachusetts; January 3, 1838, he was ordained pastor at South Amherst, where he remained until 1840. Subsequently, for four years, he labored in Holoke, and was one year in the service of the American Tract Society. He preached in Harmar, Ohio, from 1845 to 1850; spent several months in the service of the Western Seamen's Friend Society, and then took charge of the Second Presbyterian Church at Delaware. He removed to Strongsville in June, 1852, and in November, 1855, to Oberlin, as agent for the American and Foreign Christian Union. From 1859 to 1861 he served the Church in Bucyrus; in June 1863, removed to Wauseon, but in 1868 returned to Oberlin, where he died, May 9, 1872. See Con. Quarterly, 1873, page 323.