Damianus the name of several early Christians:
1. A missionary sent by pope Eleutherius to Britain.
2. Bishop of Sidon, was a member of the synod at Anfiochin 444, and also of the Council of Chalcedon in 451, when. he gave his vote for the deposition of Dioscorus.
3. A companion of St. Regulus. One of the churches of St. Andrews was dedicated to him. He is commemorated June 1.
4. Fifth bishop of Rochester, was consecrated by archbishop Deusdedit about 655.
5. Saint, bishop of Ticinum (now Pavia), where he was born; and, while a presbyter, attended the synod held by Mansuetus, archbishop of Milan, against the, Monothelites, in 679. He was deputed by the synod to draw up an exposition of faith to be sent to the emperor, which was received by acclamation in the Council of Constantinople in 680. He succeeded Anastasius the latter year as bishop, and died in 710.