Croes, John a minister of the Protestant Episcopal Church, was born September 22, 1787. Ordained deacon in 1809, and subsequently a priest, he began his labors in the ministry in St. Peter's Church, Freehold, N.J.; was thence transferred to Christ Church, Shrewsbury, and afterwards to Christ Church, Middletown. After a few months spent in New Brunswick, he became rector of St. Paul's Church, Paterson, where he remained three years. During the following two years he was in Newirk, and the two years succeeding he assisted his father, 'the bishop' of New Jersey, in Christ Church, New Brunswick. He became rector of that parish at the death of his father, and continued there for eight years. In Keyport he founded and served St. James's Church nine years, at Brown's Point, erecting the building on his own land and by his own gifts and collections. He finally made his residence at Brooklyn, N.Y., where, and in adjoining places, he was busily employed until his death, August 18, 1849. See Amer. Quar. Church Rev. 1849, page 446.