Creighton William, Dd
Creighton William, D.D., was born in New York, Feb. 22d, 1793. He was educated in Columbia College, graduating in the class of 1812, and received his doctor's degree in 1830. He was ordained deacon in 1815, and soon after was employed in Grace Church, N. Y., as an assistant to the Rev. Dr. Bowen. In 1816 he was called to the rectorship of St. Mark's Church, in the Bowery, of which he remained rector until 1836, when he became rector of Zion Church, Greenburgh, and resigned the same in 1845. In the year 1836 the Parish of Christ Church, Tarrytown, was organized, of which he was chosen rector, and remained so up to the time of his death, a period of twenty-nine years, without salary. In 1845 he was elected president of the Convention of the Diocese of New York, and was re-elected every succeeding year until the consecration of the Rev. Dr. Wainwright in 1852. At the first election of a provisional bishop of New York he was chosen to that high office, but, from various considerations, declined its acceptance. He was also chosen president of the House of Clerical and Lay Deputies of the General Conventions of 1853, 1856, and 1859 respectively. He had previously served the Church in different stations of trust, as member of the Standing Committee, chairman of the Missionary Committee, etc. In 1849-50 the Church of St. Mary's, Beechwood, was founded by him and his son-in-law, the Rev. Edward N. Mead, D.D.; the principal part of the cost for the erection and ground being contributed by them, and divine service being maintained by them in it, as a free church, to the present time. Dr. Creighton died at Tarrytown, April 23d, 1865. — Church Review, July, 1865.