Cornelison, John a minister of the Reformed (Dutch) Church, was born at Nyack, N.Y., in 1769. He studied under H. Meyer and J.H. Livingston, and was licensed by the synod of the Reformed Dutch Church in 1791. His first work was as missionary to the northern and western states (1791-93). From 1793 to 1806 he was pastor at Bergen avenue, Jersey City, and at English Neighborhood, Bergen County, N.J. In 1794 he visited the settlements on the Delaware and Susquehanna rivers (Hanover), and was at Bergen avenue again from 1806 to 1828, when he died. Mr. Cornelison had a noble zeal for the glory of God, and an anxiety for the souls of men. He took great interest in the colored people, many of whom were slaves, and opened a special service for them in his own house. He formed them into classes, teaching them to read, and filling their minds with Gospel truth. See Corwin, Manual of the Reformed Church in America, 3d ed. page 222.