Cope, Richard, Lld, Fas
Cope, Richard, LL.D., F.A.S.
a distinguished English Congregational minister, was born in Londonnear the spot where the Craven Chapel now stands, August 23, 1776. Becoming a junior clerk in St. Albans Street, he was made chaplain of the lady of the house. He was next engaged with Kenneth Mackenzie, of Loch Torridge, Rosshire, January 21, 1793, and while there employed his vacant hours in studying theology, On December 9, 1795, he became the clerk of Edward Leigh,. Esq., of Tooke's Court, but his desire for the ministry reviving, he entered Old College, Hoxton, March 5, 1798, and there continued until his removal to Lancaster, June 28, 1800. At the last-named place he conducted a boarding and day school with extraordinary success, preached in sixteen villages, enlarged the chapel four times, and saw numbers added to the Church. He removed to Dublin as professor or tutor in New College, Manor Street, August 1, 1820, but resigned after two years. He then travelled through the north of Ireland on behalf of the Irish Evangelical and: London Missionary societies. On September 30, 1822, he became pastor of Salem Chapel, Wakefield, where he was very successful, and removed, April 8, 1836, to Penryn, where the house soon became crowded. In 1840 he erected a chapel at Poliphant, near Launceston, and another at Mylor Bridge, near Penryn, where he preached every Sunday afternoon. His labors for fifty-six years were abundant. During that time he preached three times on Sundays and several times through the week. He died October 26, 1856. See (Lond.) Cong. Year-book, 1857, page 172.