Colton, Asa Smith
Colton, Asa Smith a Protestant Episcopal minister, was born at Champion, Jefferson County, N.Y., October 26, 1804. He received his preparatory education at Guilford, and graduated at Hamilton College in 1827. He then taught one year at Freehold, N.J.; entered Princeton Theological Seminary in November 1828, where he remained nearly two years; then studied one year with the Reverend Thomas H. Skinner, D.D., in Philadelphia; was licensed by the Presbytery of Philadelphia, October 30, 1830, and taught three years in Philadelphia. Having united with the Protestant Episcopal Church, he was admitted to deacon's orders, August 4, 1833, and ordained a presbyter, August 27, 1839. He taught in Morristown, N.J., from 1834 to 1836; preached and taught in Bordentown, from 1837 to 1839; was missionary in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1839 and 1840; taught privately at Gulf Mills, Montgomery County, from 1840 to 1842; was rector of St. Andrew's Church, West Vincent, and St. Mark's, Honeybrook, both in Chester County, from 1842 to 1845; of Christ Church, Towanda, from 1845 to 1847; at Pike, from 1847 to 1849; of St. Peter's Church, Montgomery County, St. Paul's, Point of Rocks, and minister of Zion's Parish, Urbana, Indiana, from 1849 to 1854; taught and supplied several vacant parishes at Wilmington, Delaware, from 1854 to 1859; and afterwards resided at Princeton, N.J., preaching occasionally until his death, August 19, 1881. See Necrol, Report of Princeton Theol. Sem. 1882, page 22.