Cobbe, Charles an Irish prelate, was born at Winchester, England, where he received the rudiments of hie education. He then went to Trinity College, Oxford, but took his degree of D.D. in the University of Dblin, March 9, 1735. His first ecclesiastical preferment was to the rectory of Skreen, in the diocese of Meath. He was afterwards appointed dean of Ardagh, whence he was promoted to the see of Killala and Achonry, May 30, 1720. In 1726 he was translated to the see of Dromore, and from that, March 1731, to Kildare, with which latter dignity he held the deanery of Christ Church, Dublin, and the preceptory of Tully, in the county of Kildare, On July 19, 1734, he was sworn privy-councillor, and was finally translated to the see of Dublin, March 4, 1742. He was one of the spiritual lords who desired leave of absence from the trial of lord Netterville by protestation in 1743; and also one of the council who subscribed the proclamation of February 1744. In 1745, on the breaking-out of the rebellion in Scotland, he sent a letter to his clergy to remind them of the excellence of the Protestant faith, and to entreat them to be steadfast in the profession of it. In 1759 archbishop Cobbe was very active in procuring the investment of the charitable donations of Andrew and the Reverend William Wilson, in the county of Westmeath, for the purpose of building a hospital for aged Protestants. He died at St. Sepulchre's, April 12, 1765. See D'Alton, Memoirs of the Archbishops of Dublin, page 339.