Close, Francis, Dd
Close, Francis, D.D., an Anglican prelate, youngest son of the Rev. Henry Jackson Close, sometime rector of Bentworth, near Alton, Hampshire, England, was born in 1797, and his early education was received from the Rev. Dr. Cherry, head master of Merchant Taylors' School, and the Rev. John Scott, the eldest son of the well-known commentator, tie graduated at St. John's College, Cambridge, in 1820, and soon alter became curate of Church Lawford, near Rugby in 1822 he became curate of Willesden and Kingsbury, Middlesex, and in 1824 went to Cheltenham as curate to the Roy. Charles Jervis. He succeeded the latter in 1826, and for thirty years devoted himself to his parochial duties at that place. His public advocacy of the present system of government education, chiefly arising out of his laborious efforts to establish tile Training College for school masters and mistresses at Cheltenham, received the acknowledgments of successive governments. During Mr. Close's incumbency the population of the place increased from 19,000 to 40,000, and be erected no fewer than five district churches, with schools, and contributed largely to the establishment of Cheltenham College. hi 1851; he became dean of Carlisle, which position he resigned in August, 1881, on account of ill-health. At Carlisle he established a dispensary, and several schools and churches. He died Dec. 18, 1882. Dr. Close was author of many pamphlets, one of which, on the Choral Service, obtained a wide circulation. He was an earnest .opponent of horse-racing, theatrical amusements, and the use of liquors and tobacco. See Men of the Time (10th ed.), s.v.