A mechanical clock was made by Peter de Chains at Cluguy, in the middle of the 14th century. A contemporaneous clock, with automata to strike the hours, formerly at Glastonbury, is now preserved at Wells. In the 14th century abbot Wallingford gave an astronomical clock to St. Alban's, and in 1324. de Louth, treasurer, presented to Lincoln a clock "as was common in cathedrals and the greater conventual churches." At Padua, Bologna, and Paris, church clocks are mentioned of the same date. At Dijon, Wells, and Strasburg. there are curious processions of little moving figures occurring at the hours, which are struck also by automata. The invention of docks with a wheel and escapement is attributed variously to Pacificus, a deacon of Verona, in the 9th century, and to Gerbert of Rheims, subsequently pope Sylvester II, who died in 1003. Clocks to mark the hours in choir for commencing divine service remain at Toledo, with automata; at Rheims, in the north wing of the transept; at Westminster, in the south wing, near the vestry; and at Beauvais, in the north choir aisle. There is also a mechanical clock of 1508 at Lyons. The choir bell, or nota, was formerly hung at the entrance of the choir for the purpose, mentioned by Durandus, of giving due warning, and then the great campana in the belfry and the signs of the tower sounded the summons to tile faithful. The choir bell inside the church is also mentioned by Reginald of Durham.