Clarkson, Abraham, an English Independent minister, was born at Earlsheaton, Dewsbury, in 1783. He was carefully trained in the Established Church; was converted at the age of twenty, and became a member of the Independent Church at Ossett in 1806. In April, 1811, he was admitted to the academy at Idle; the same year became pastor at Mixenden, Halifax; in 18181 removed to Bingley, near Bradford; in 1,837, went to reside at Batley near Dewsbury, where, through his efforts, a commodious place of worship was built in 1839, and in which, as contributor, a frequent supply, and as deacon, he rendered efficient service till his death, May 4,1850. Mr. Clarkson was a man of deep and .uniform piety, and eminently diligent in the discharge of all his-duties. See: The Evangelical Magazine (Lond.), 1850, p. 705.