Clark, Nathaniel Catlin
Clark, Nathaniel Catlin, a Congregational minister, was born at Benson, Vt., Aug. 12,1801. After studying for a time with Rev. Mr. Cushman, of Fairhaven, Vt., He completed his preparatory studies at Castleton Academy, and graduated in 1828 from Midllebury College. He spent one year teaching in Herkimer Academy, and in 1832 graduated from Auburn Theological Seminary. During the winter he supplied the church at Shoreham, Vt., and although invited to become the pastor of that church, he accepted' instead, after his ordination, May 4,1833, a commission from the American Home Missionary Society, to preach. in Cook County, Ill., which then embraced nearly a third of the State. He .gathered a Church at Napierville, and ministered there a-little more than three years, during which time he organized several other churches. In 1837 he went to St. Charles and preached in the church at that place and in the one at Elgin on alternate Sabbaths. At the latter place he was installed pastor in 1839, and thereafter made it his home. The churches at. Udina, Dundee, Kingwood, and Marengo also shared his services from one to three years each. Under a general commission from the American Home Missionary Society he labored, in addition to the fields above noted, .for several years in destitute communities. He had no regular charge during the last eight years of his life, but preached as a supply,. with little intermission. He died at Elgin, Ill., Dec. 3, 1872. See Cong. Quarterly, 1873, p. 577.