Chirnsyde, William a Scotch clergyman,, was first provost of Bothwell, which he exchanged for the priory of Blantyre, in Roman Catholic times (1552); but he conformed to the Protestant faith before 1567, still holding the. benefice of Blantyre. He was transferred to Luss in 1572; to Kilmahew before 1585; returned to Luss in 1588, continued there in 1593, removed again, and returned in 1597. There is no further record of him. See Fasti Eccles. Scoticanae, 2:264, 351, 365, 366.