Chamberlain, Pierce a Presbyterian minister, was born at Newark, Del., June 11,1790. He attended the Academy of Andover, and also at Newark Academy, and studied theology with private instructors. In 1822 he was licensed to preach by the New Castle Presbytery. He had much of the missionary spirit, and for a time labored in the almshouses and prisons of Philadelphia. After a few years he was ordained as an evangelist by the Presbytery of New Castle, and received a commission from the Board of Missions to labor within the bounds of the Presbytery of Erie. He first visited the shore of Lake Erie in 1826, and labored for some time in the vacant churches with much acceptance. In 1828 he was installed pastor of the Church of Springfield, in Erie Co. On account of ill-health this relation was dissolved the same year, and then, till 1836, he labored as a missionary throughout the bounds of the presbytery, preaching wherever he could collect a congregation. In 1836 he accepted calls from Waterford and Union; giving up the latter, he labored at Gravel Run. His health failing, he was released from the pastoral charge. He soon after left Erie Presbytery and returned to Newark. At the time of the division of the Church in 1838, Mr. Chamberlain identified himself with the New School. After his return to Newark he took charge of a female seminary, where he labored till his death, Aug. 23,1850. See Hist. of the Presbytery of Erie.