Carruthers, James a Scotch clergyman, the earliest Protestant minister in the parish of Buittle, was first an exhorter at Preston in 1570, and was appointed to the living at Buittle in 1574. He continued in 1586, and was transferred in 1588 to Crossmichael, with two other parishes in charge; he continued in 1590, and removed to Balmaghie the same year, and continued in 1593. There is no further record of him. See Fasti Eccles. Scoticanae, 1, 697, 703, 708.