Caritables, Les are the priests-titular of a benefice entitled Caritas, who twice a day served the church of St. Stephen, in the city of Corbie and diocese of Amiens. This benefice seems to have originated in the charity and pious gifts of the abbots, monks, and citizens of Corbie, and others; and from this, its charitable foundation, and the alms which were distributed by the priests who held it, it seems to have derived its name. The Caritas began to be established about 1048, when the number of "Caritables" was forty; but in 1248 it was reduced to twenty. The benefice was in the gift of the abbot of Corbie, and the clergy who held it were for the most part curates of the city, canons of Fouilloy, or others of the neighboring clergy. The chief of them was called praepositus, or provost.