Cape Town, the capital of the English possessions at the Cape of Good Hope, erected into a bishop's see of the English Church in 1847. The see owes Its existence to the munificence of Miss Burdett Coutts. The first bishop was Robert Gray, D.D., of Stockton, consecrated at Westminster, June 29, 1847, who is still the incumbent. The bishop of Cape Town is the metropolitan of the Anglican dioceses in South Africa, of which, in 1867, there were the following, besides Cape Town: Natal, established 1863; Mauritius, 1854; Graham's Town, 1856; St. Helena, 1862; Orange River State, 1863; Central Africa, 1863. The Wesleyan missions in the district of Cape Town embraced, in 1866, 10 circuits, 25 chapels, 12 other preaching- places, 9 missionaries and assistant missionaries, 201 subordinate paid and unpaid agents, 1510 members, 211 on trial for membership, 2680 scholars in Sunday-schools, and 6983. attendants on public worship. The Roman Catholics have at Cape Town a vicar apostolic (bishop in partibus), whose diocese embraces about half a dozen churches, SEE AFRICA.