Cannon James S, Dd
Cannon James S., D.D., an eminent minister of the Reformed Dutch Church, was born in Curaqoa, Jan. 28, 1776, and was educated under Dr. Peter Wilson and Rev. Alex. Miller at Hackensack, N. J. He was licensed to preach in 1796 by the Classis of Hackensack, and shortly after became pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church of Millstone and Six-mile Run, finally devoting his whole service to the latter church. His pastoral industry was remarkable, yet he wrote and committed to memory all his sermons. During part of his pastoral work he had to preach one sermon in Dutch and one in English every Sunday. In 1826 he was chosen Professor of Pastoral Theology and Ecclesiastical History in the Seminary at New Brunswick, and here he spent the remainder of his life, a laborious student, and a faithful and successful teacher. "His views of truth were more distinguished by exactness and solidity than by any far-reaching power; and yet, when he had discussed a subject, there was little left to be said." A large number of ministers were trained by Dr. Cannon. He died in great peace, July 25, 1852. After his death, the substance of his course of instruction was published under the title Lectures on Pastoral Theology (New York, 1853, 8vo). "The subjects embraced in the lectures are: 'The qualifications for the pastoral office,' 'pastoral duties,' 'the administration of the sacraments,' 'catechetical instruction,' 'visitation of the sick,' 'pastoral visitation,' 'religious declension,' 'extension of the Church,' 'instruction by example.' Dr. Cannon's discussion ofthe sacraments is particularly able, clear, and conclusive." — N. Brunswick Review, May, 1854, p. 104; Bibliotheca Sacra, April, 1854, p. 420.