Campbell, William Graham
Campbell, William Graham, a Presbyterian minister, was born in Rockbridge County, Va., July. 27, 1799. His early education was received chiefly at a classical school in that county. He graduated at Washington College, Va., in 1825; then spent one session as tutor in the college; entered Princeton Theological Seminary in the fall of 1825, sand. spent one year. there in study. He was licensed by Lexington Presbytery, Oct. 23, 1826, and was ordained an evangelist by the same presbytery April 26, 1828. He then supplied a church at Christianburg, Va., and at the same time taught a school in that place. From 1830 to 1841 he labored as a missionary in Greenbrier and Pocahontas counties. Va., supplying the churches of Spring Creek, Anthony's Creek, Little Level; and Mount Carmel. From 1841 to 1843 he was stated supply at Warm Springs, Va. was installed pastor at Shemariah, Va., by Lexington Presbytery, Aug. 24, 1844, and remained there till 1850. From this time to 1857 he resided at Staunton, Va., .preaching .and teaching. From 1857 to 1859 he had charge ,of an academy for girls at Salisbury, N.C. From 1859 to 1865 he was stated supply to Lebanon Church, Va. From 1866 he resided in Harrisonburg, Va., until his death, Aug. 2, 1881. See Necrol. Report of Princeton. Theol. Seam. 1882, p. 15; Christian Observer, Sept. 28, 1881.