Campbell, James (3)
Campbell, James (3), a Presbyterian minister, was born near Mercersburg, in Franklin Co., Pa., May 4,1798. He graduated from Jefferson College in 1825, entered Princeton Theological Seminary the same year, and graduated in 1828. He was licensed by New Brunswick Presbytery, Aug. 7,1828; was received by certificate into Redstone Presbytery in 1830; and in August of the same year was installed pastor over the churches in Kittaning and Crooked Creek. He next was installed as pastor of Poke Run Church, in Blairsville Presbytery. In 1834 he was received into Ohio Presbytery, and became pastor of Pine Creek Church, and in 1838 became pastor at Sharpsburg. For four years he continued to supply various churches, but was never again settled as a pastor. After this he labored in Huron, Marion, Hocking, and Huntingdon Presbyteries in Ohio. He amid his wife opened, at Athens, O., a seminary for young ladies, in which they taught for two or three years. For three years he was teacher at Shirleysburg, Pa. From 1857 to 1859 he was at Highland, Kan., and was employed as agent for Highland University a part of the time. He then was a member of the Muncie Presbytery (Ind.). He died at New Orleans, June 14, 1875. Mr. Campbell loved to preach. and was constant and heroic in his endurance of hardships in his missionary work wherever he labored. See Necrol. Report of Princeton Theol. Seem, 1876, p. 13.