Cameron, John (1)
Cameron, John (1), a Scotch prelate, was of the family of Lochiel, and was first made official of Lothian in 1422. He afterwards became confessor and secretary to the earl of Douglas; was provost of Trincluden in 1424; and was made keeper of the seal Feb. 25, and royal secretary March 7, 1425. In 1426 he was elected bishop of Glasgow; in 1428 was made lord-chancellor of the see; in 1429 he erected six churches within his diocese; and in 1433 was chosen one of the delegates from the Church of Scotland to the Council of Basel. In 1444 he was still chancellor. After his removal from this office, bishop Cameron began to build the great tower at his episcopal palace in Glasgow, where his coat armorial is to be seen to this day, with all the badges of the episcopal dignity. He probably died in 1448. He enacted canons which may be found in MS. in the Harleian Collection, No. 4631. See Rose, Gen. Biog. Dict. s.v.; Keith, Scottish Bishops, p. 248.