Calef, Robert was a merchant in Boston in the early part of the last century, who died April 13,1719. He deserves a place in the records of New England history on account of the bold: stand he took in opposing the infatuation which seems to have pervaded all classes of the community, with reference to witchcraft. He was the author of a work, entitled Alaore Wonders of the Invisible World (Lond. 1700), which was a reply to Cotton Mather's Wonders of the Invisible World. Madther had distinctly avowed his belief in witchcraft, and that belief was held and proclaimed by the leading divines of the day. So obnoxious was Calef's book, that, by order of Dr. Increase Mather, president of Harvard College, it was burned in the college yard, and pamphlet was published in defence of the Mathers, bearing the title, Remarks upon a Scandalous Book, etc. which had this motto, "Truth will come off conqueror.' Ere long the motto was fully verified, but not in the way. in which it was anticipated. The spell which rested upon the community was broken. Bitter regret was felt by those who had been instrumental in procuring the death of persons charged with the commission of crimes while under the influence of Satanic agency See
Mass. Hist. Coll. vol. iii; Allen. Amer. Biog. s. v (J. C. S.) Calefactory (Pisalis, or pyrale, the "(CommoHouse" at Durham), a mediaeval name for the sittingroom of a monastery or religious house. It was a chamber provided with a fireplace or stove, used as a withdrawing-room by monks, and generally adjoining the refectory. It very often was a portion of the substructure of the dormitory. Here the brethren met before the dinner, and in winter time for warmth. Where there was no Galilee, processions were marshalled here. The precentor of Benedictines dried his parchment, prepared the waxen tablets and liquefied ink, and the censers were filled by the sacristan's servants, in this room. At Winchester a chamber in the south wing of the transept, used for the latter purpose, still retains the name. At the Grey Friars, London, it was furnished with aumbries and water from the conduit; at Kirkham it had a bench-table, and at Thornton a series of stalls.