Burrell, John Ilgen
Burrell, John Ilgen a Lutheran minister, was born in Centre County, Pa. (near Bellefonte), Feb. 5, 1829. He entered the preparatory department Pennsylvania College in 1849, and graduated in 1855. For two years he was principal of an academy in Aaronsburg, and then was appointed superintendent of schools for Centre County until 1860. For a time he taught in Bellefonte. Having studied law, he was admitted to the bar in 1858, and formed a partnership with Robert G. Durham. Turning to the ministry, he studied theology under Rev. D. Moser, of Pine Grove Mills, and was licensed to preach in 1860. During fifteen years following he was pastor of the Stone Church, Northampton County. After 1861 this church was known as St. Paul's. Mr. Burrell founded two churches-one at Martin's Creek, the other at Ackermansville. Though still pastor of St. Paul's, he organized, in 1869, a select classical school. From 1875 until his death he was pastor of St. Matthew's English Lutheran Church, Brooklyn, N.Y. From 1874 to 1877 he was a trustee of Pennsylvania College. He died Jan. 21,1877. See Penn. Coll. Book, 1882, p. 247; Luth. Observer, Feb. 2,1877.