Burke, John a Protestant Episcopal clergyman of the diocese of Long Island, was chaplain in the United States Army in Louisiana in 1853, and was removed to Fort Washita, Ind. Ter., the next year; in 1864 he was chaplain at Fort Hamilton, N. Y.; in 1870 he resided at Tarrytown, having retired from his chaplaincy in the army. He died Dec. 24, 1873. See Prot. Episc. Almanac, 1875, p. 144.