Buchanan, John, Dd
Buchanan, John, D.D.
a minister of the Protestant Episcopal Church, was born near Dumfries, Scotland, in 1748. Having graduated at the University of Edinburgh, he studied law with a view to practicing in his native country; but, having gone to Richmond, Virginia, with his eldest brother, James, a merchant, he conceived an aversion to that profession. After studying theology he returned to Great Britain, and in 1775 received orders in the Church of England. Then he went back to Virginia, preaching occasionally, and for a time was employed as a family teacher. In 1780 he took charge of Lexington parish; and in 1785 became assistant minister to the Reverend Miles Selden, rector of St. John's Church, Henries Parish, Virginia. When Mr. Selden died, Mr. Buchanan succeeded to the rectorship. About the year 1790 he began to preach at the capitol in Richmond. After the burning of the Richmond Theatre, in 1812, the Monumental Church was built, to the rectorship of which bishop Richard C. Moore was invited, and upon the duties of which he entered in 1814. Dr. Buchanan became a sort of assistant to the bishop, and served the new church during bishop Moore's diocesan visitations; but he still retained his office as rector of St. John's, assisted by Rev. William H. Hart of New York. He died in Richmond, December 19, 1822. As a preacher his manner was dignified, but lacked animation; but the chief attribute of his character was his benevolence. Possessed of large means, he ministered most liberally to the wants of the poor. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 5:324.