Browne, James an English Congregational minister, was born March 5, 1781, in Russell Street, Rotherhithe. His parents gave him a respectable education, and apprenticed him to a tradesman in the borough of Southwark. He was received into the Church when seventeen vears of age. In 1800 he removed to Shoreham, Sussex. Here he first opened a Sunday-school,. and afterwards hired a granary, in which he commenced his ministry November 16, 1800. A chapel, built chiefly through his exertions, was opened on February 22, 1801; and in the following August he entered Hoxton Academy, where he remained till 1804. The pastor at Halesworth being temporarily laid aside, Mr. Browne left college to assist in the work, and continued there about a year and a half. He next went to assist Mr. Owen at Debenham, and afterwards supplied Steeple Bumpstead for a short time. He then went to Burnham, in Norfolk, where he laid the foundation of a chapel. In 1807 he accepted the pastorate at Bradfiell; a chapel was opened in the adjoining town of North Walsham, November 29, 1808, and in the following September he was ordained pastor. He continued to preach at both places till his death, April 26, 1857. He was a man of unblemished reputation, holy and devout; he was diligent, fervent, prudent, cheerful, and firm; he was loved by his people, and respected by the community. See (Lond.) Cong. Yearbook, 1858, page 193.