Brown, Richard (2), Dd
Brown, Richard (2), D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born at Wellsburg, West Virginia, February 1, 1796. He graduated at Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, in 1822. He entered Princeton Seminary the same year, and graduated in 1826. During 1824-25 he was agent for the Western Missionary Society. He was licensed to preach December 29, 1824, by the Washington Presbytery, and ordained by the same in 1827 at Wheeling, Virginia. His first settlement was over the united charge of Congress, Mount Hope, and Rehoboth; he afterwards changed to Jeromeville, Ohio, where he was installed by the Presbytery of Richland in 1829, In 1832 he was made pastor of Three Springs Church, Virginia. In 1836 he was installed pastor at New Hagerstown, Ohio, where he worked twenty-two years. He then went to Oak Ridge, and remained until 1861. In 1862 he returned to New Hagerstown, where he supplied different churches until his death. He made a missionary trip to the Indians at Maumee, and another along the New York and Pennsylvania line for the Ladies' Missionary Society of Princeton, N.J. He was appointed agent of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. He died April 12, 1879. Dr. Brown led a blameless and consistent life. He was a model pastor, excellent in counsel, and fondly loved by all classes. See Necrological Report of Princeton Theol. Seminary, 1880, page 13.