Brown, James Moore, Dd
Brown, James Moore, D.D., a clergyman of the Old School Presbyterian Church, was born in the Valley of Virginia, Sept. 13,1799. He was educated at Washington College, Lexington, Va., where he also studied theology under Dr. Geo. A. Baxter. He was licensed by Lexington Presbytery at Mossy Creek Church, Rockingham County, Va., April 13, 1824. On Sept. 30, 1826, he was ordained and installed pastor over the churches of Gerardstown, Tuscarora, and Falling Waters, in Berkeley County, Va., within the bounds of Westchester Presbytery. The bounds of his congregation extended about thirty miles along the base of North Mountain, and there he labored, like an apostle, faithfully and successfully, exploring and establishing preaching places in destitute places around him, until, in 1835, at the earnest solicitation of the synods of Virginia and North Carolina, he undertook an agency for the cause of missions, and removed to Prince Edward County as a more central location for his work. In April, 1837, he received and accepted a call to the church of Kanawha, West Virginia, where he labored for twenty-five years. On a journey home from Frankfort, Va., where he had attended the deathbed of his daughter, he was taken sick at Lewisburg, and there died, June 8, 1862.-Wilson, Presbyterian Almanac, 1863, p. 135.