Brown, James Caldwell, Dd
Brown, James Caldwell, D.D., a Presbyterian minister (0. S.), was born at St. Clairsville, Ohio, in Oct. 1815. In his 16th year he entered Jefferson College, Pa., as a freshman, and while there he united with the Church. From Jefferson College he passed to the Western Theological Seminary at Alleghany, Pa., where he remained two years, and finally graduated at the. Theological Seminary at Columbia, S. C. He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Harmony, S. C. He went in 1839 to Indiana, to do missionary work in the wild counties lying along the southern end of Lake Michigan. He settled at Valparaiso, Porter County, where he preached for twenty-one years, and built up the largest Presbyterian Church in Northern Indiana. In fact, nearly every Presbyterian Church within a circuit of thirty miles was organized by him. In 1859 he received the degree of D.D. simultaneously from Jefferson and Hanover colleges. In 1860 he resigned his charge in Valparaiso to become the general agent of the Theological Seminary of the Northwest at Chicago, Illinois. Before resigning his charge, he initiated measures which resulted in the establishment of a Presbyterian institution. The outbreak of the rebellion hindered him from accomplishing any thing as general airent of the Theological Seminary. In the winter of 1861 he preached as a supply to the church in South Bend, Ind., and while there he was elected chaplain of the 48th Indiana Volunteers. He joined his regiment in May, 1862, and was with it in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. Being attacked with camp diarrhea, he was ordered home to recruit his health, but was only able to reach Paducah, Ky., where he died July .4, 1862.-Wilson, Presbyterian Almanac, 1863, p. 132.