Brown, James Allen, Dd, Lld
Brown, James Allen, D.D., Ll.D.
a Lutheran theologian, was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He was of Quaker descent, but reared under Presbyterian influences. In 1811 he entered the senior class of Pennsylvania College, from which he graduated in 1842. Having become acquainted with the doctrines of the Lutheran Church, he united with that body, and resolved to devote himself to the work of the ministry. He studied at Baltimore under Drs. J.G. Morris and B. Kurtz. Having completed his studies, he was licensed by the Maryland Synod, and became pastor of Luther Chapel in Baltimore. He subsequently was called to York, Pennsylvania, and from thence to Reading. In 1860 he was elected professor of theology of the Theological Seminary of the South, at Newberry, S.C. On the breaking-out of hostilities in 1861, he withdrew and returned to the North, and became chaplain of the hospital and military post established at York. In 1865 he was elected professor of theology of the Gettysburg Seminary, in which he labored with distinguished ability and success until December 1879, when he was stricken with paralysis, which deprived him of his speech. He resigned his position in June 1880, and died at Lancaster, June 19, 1882. (B.P.)