Brantly, William Theophilus, Jr, Dd
Brantly, William Theophilus, Jr., D.D.
a Baptist minister, son of Reverend Dr. W.T. Brantly, was born at Beaufort, S.C., in 1816. At the age of nine he removed with his father, who had been called to the pastorate of the First Baptist Church in Philadelphia. Under careful training he was fitted for college, and graduated from Brown University in 1840. He became a Christian when young, was baptized in 1834, and at the age of twenty-two was licensed to preach. Soon after he graduated he was invited to take the pastorate of the First Baptist Church in Augusta, Georgia. Here he remained eight years, his ministry being attended with great success. From 1848 to 1856 he was professor of.
belles-lettres and evidences of Christianity and history in the University of Georgia. In 1853 he was called to the pastorate of the First Church in Philadelphia, of which his father had been pastor. This call he declined, but when, three years later, he was invited to take charge of the Tabernacle Church in Philadelphia, he accepted the call. He was pastor of this Church from 1856-61, and then removed to Atlanta, Georgia, and was pastor from 1861-71, with the exception of a short period during the war. From Atlanta he went to Baltimore, as the successor of Reverend Dr. R. Fuller, in the Seventh Baptist Church. Here he remained till his death, March 6, 1882. See Cathcart, Baptist Encyclopedia, page 128. (J.C.S.)