Bradford, William J
Bradford, William J.
a Presbyterian minister, was born at Canterbury, Windham County, Connecticut, March 10, 1795. He was a lineal descendant of William Bradford, second governor of Plymouth colony. He early desired to enter the ministry, and gave himself diligently to study with this in view. Without taking a collegiate course, he was matriculated at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1822, and after leaving the seminary he taught school at Pawlings, Dutchess County, N.Y., and in 1825 at Homer, N.Y., at the same time pursuing his theological studies. In 1826 or 1827 he was ordained or installed over the Church at Pitcher Chenango County, remaining there seven or eight years. In 1834 he was settled at. Berkshire, Tioga County, and in 1837 at Marathon, Cortland: County, supplying Freetown also. In 1854 he removed to Lysander, Onondaga County, to take charge of a Reformed' (Dutch) Church there, but in 1858 returned to Marathon, where he purchased a farm, and died March 31, 1874. He was an active servant of the Lord. See Presbyterianism in Central New York, page 469.