Boyd, John (2)
Boyd, John (2), a Presbyterian minister, was born in Ireland in 1768. His early studies were pursued under John McPherriu, his pastor. He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Redstone, April 23, 1801. He preached one year as a licentiate in the bounds of the Presbytery of Erie. At the first meeting of the Presbytery of Erie, April 13, 1802, he presented a dismission from the Presbytery of Redstone, and was taken under the care of the new Presbytery. He accepted calls from Slate Lick and Union churches, in what is now Armstrong County, Pa. He was ordained at Union on June 16, 1802. This pastoral relation continued until April 17, 1810. At the meeting of the General Assembly, in May, 1809, he was appointed a missionary for two months on the headwaters of the Alleghany and the borders of Lake Erie. He also supplied, for a short time, the churches of Amity and West Liberty. He was transferred, on account of ill-health, from Erie Presbytery to that of Lancaster, Oct. 4, 1810. Shortly after this he was preaching at Wills Creek, in Southeastern Ohio. Afterwards he served Red Oak and Strait Creek churches, in Chillicothe Presbytery. He next settled as pastor of the Church of Bethel, in Oxford Presbytery. He died Aug. 20, 1816. See Hist. of the Presbytery of Erie.