Bowie, John, a clergyman of the Protestant Episcopal Church, was a native of Prince George's County, Md. Having gone to England to be ordained, he was licensed to preach in Maryland, July 28, 1771. Returning to America, he became curate to the Rev. Alexander Williamson of Prince George's Parish, in Montgomery Co. In 1774 he was pastor of Worcester Parish, Worcester Co. With the beginning of the Revolution he exhibited violent Tory sentiments, for which he was imprisoned two years in Annapolis. Having been released, he settled in Talbot County, on the Choptank River, teaching a classical school and becoming the rector of St. Peter's Parish. In 1785 he was pastor at Great Choptank Parish, still, however, retaining his school. Having resigned this parish in 1790, he became rector of St. Michael's, in Talbot Co., where he remained until the close of his life, in the meantime maintaining his school. He died in 1801. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 5, 374.