Bowers, John (2)
Bowers, John (2), a Congregational minister, was born at Thompson, Conn., Sept. 14, 1805. He graduated at Yale College, in 1832, and at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1836; was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Long Island, at Franklinville, Oct. 15, 1835. After leaving the seminary he taught one year, 1836 to 1837, in Nichols Academy, Dudley, Mass. His first settlement was at Wilbraham, where he was ordained pastor of the Congregational Church, Dec. 13, 1837, and continued to serve in this relation for nearly twenty years; after which he supplied the pulpit at Agawam Falls nearly a year. In October, 1857, he preached a few Sabbaths to the Third Congregational Church in St. Johnsbury, Vt., and was unanimously invited to the pastorate. He commenced his permanent labors there Jan. l, 1858, and was installed Feb. 4, 1858. Here he labored with great fidelity until his death, Feb. 4, 1863. Mr. Bowers was to the end a man of scholarly habits, and of remarkable benevolence. In domestic life he was genial and affectionate, and, as a pastor, earnest and faithful. Three of his sermons were published. See Cong. Quar., 1863, p. 194; 1864, p. 114.