Bondington, William De
Bondington, William De, a Scottish bishop, was born of an ancient family in the shire of Berwick, and was rector of Edelstone, a prebendary of Glasgow, one of the clerici cancellarii, and afterwards archdeacon of St. Andrews, in Lothian, and a privy-councillor to king Alexander II, who advanced him in 1231 to the chancellor's office. He was elected bishop of Glasgow in 1232, and in 1233 was consecrated to that see in the cathedral church by Andrew, bishop of Moray. Bondington was witness to a charter by king Alexander II, at Aberdeen, Oct. 9, in the eighteenth year of his reign, He was contemporary with Allan, bishop of Argyle, and finished the cathedral of Glasgow out of his own liberality. In the last year of his life he introduced into his diocese the use of the liturgical form of the Church of Sarum, or Salisbury, in England. He died Nov. 10, 1257. See Keith, Scottish Bishops, p. 238.