Black, James (1)
Black, James (1), a Presbyterian minister, was born at Millerstown, Pa., in 1779. He was educated at Belmont College, Tenn., and studied theology privately. He was licensed by Abingdon Presbytery, Oct. 7, 1809, and ordained shortly afterwards. His successive fields of labor were Romney, Va., for fifteen years; Elk Branch, Va.; then as a missionary in Ohio for several years. In 1839 he was in Wheeling Valley, and afterwards in Milton, Monroe, and Mt. Carmel, and in 1847 in Cincinnati. He was without charge for seventeen years previous to his death, which occurred at Shepherdstown, Va., Feb. 21, 1860. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1861, p. 78.