Black, Andrew Watson Dd
Black, Andrew Watson D.D.
a Reformed Presbyterian minister, was born near Pittsburg, Pa., in 1808. He graduated at the Western University, Pittsburg, in 1826, and at the Presbyterian Seminary in Philadelphia in 1828; was licensed to preach by the Reformed Presbytery in that year, and ordained and installed pastor of the congregations of Shenango and Neshannock, Pa., March 18, 1832. In 1839 he accepted a call to the then newly organized Reformed Presbyterian Church in Allegheny City. While pastor of this Church he received the appointment of chaplain in the penitentiary of the western district of Pennsylvania. In 1855 he accepted for a year the agency of the American Bible Society for several of the northern counties of Pennsylvania and Ohio. In 1857 he received the appointment of delegate to the sister churches of Britain and Ireland, and also of representative of the Church to which he belonged. He was appointed professor of exegetical, historical, and evangelistic theology in the theological seminary under his care. He died Sept. 10, 1858. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, v, 33; Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1860, p. 170.