Bicknor Alexander De
Bicknor Alexander De an Irish prelate, was elected archbishop of Dublin in 1314, and took a journey to Lyons with the king's letters, Jan. 29, 1314, recommending him to the pope. He was consecrated at Avignon, July 22, 1317, by Nicholas de Prato, cardinal of Ostiulm. In the first year of his appointment king Edward granted to him the liberty of acquiring lands, tenements, advowsons, etc., in Ireland to the value of £200 yearly, except such as were held in the fee of the crown, to hold to him and his successors forever. De Bicknor did not visit his see until Oct. 9, 1318, when he arrived as archbishop of Dublin and lord justice of Ireland. He was received by the clergy and people with great joy. In 1318 he was twice summoned to a parliament at Lincoln. In 1320 he founded a university in St. Patrick's Church, Dublin. In 1322 he constituted the Church of Inisboyne a prebend in St. Patrick's Cathedral. In 1323 he was sent as ambassador to France by the Parliament of England. In 1326 he appears among the prelates and barons of England, who met at Bristol on the occasion of the king's son being appointed guardian of the realm which his father had abandoned. In 1339 he received royal orders to repair his fortifications at Castle Kevin, and was required to appear before the king's council in England to report the state of affairs in Ireland. In 1349, having obtained a grant of the manor of Coolmine, in the parish of Saggard, from Geoffrey Crumpe, subject to rent and services to the chief lord, he settled it for the maintenance of certain chantries in the Cathedral of St. Patrick, adding for the same endowment several houses and gardens near the palace of St. Sepulchre, and in the parish of St. Kevin. De Bicknor died July 14, 1349. See D'Alton, Memoirs of the Archbishops of Dublin, p. 123.