Beresford, John George Dd
Beresford, John George D.D.
an eminent Irish prelate, was born at Tyrone House, Dublin, Nov. 22, 1773. He was the second son of the right hon. George De' la Poer Beresford, second earl of Tyrone. After leaving Eton School, he went to Christ Church, Oxford, and took the degree of B.A. in 1793. At the age of twenty-six he was appointed dean of Clogher, which office he held until 1805, when, March 24, he was consecrated bishop of Cork and Ross. In 1807 he was translated to the see of Raphoe, and to that of Clogher in 1819, and to the archbishopric of Dublin in 1820. He succeeded to the archbishopric of Armagh in June, 1822, and became chancellor of the University of Dublin in 1851, having held the position of vice-chancellor for more than twenty years. In 1850 the see of Clogher again came under his jurisdiction. He died: July 19, 1862. His liberality was conspicuous. On Armagh cathedral he spent nearly £30, 000, and in one year he expended £1100 in stipends to poor curates. For many years he wholly supported the fever hospital of Armagh, with its forty patients, and it was no uncommon thing for him to disburse £1000 in a single year in private charities. See Amer. Quar. Church Rev. April, 1863, p.155.