Bateson, Anthony an English Congregational minister, was born at Wray, Yorkshire, in 1815. His conversion occurred when he was about sixteen years of age, at Settle. In 1837 he removed to Preston and joined the Grimshaw-street Chapel. He received a sanction to preach occasionally, which he did with much acceptance. He was under the instruction of his pastor, Rev. R. Slate, for a year. In 1839 he was admitted as a student to Blackburn Academy, and upon his graduation received a unanimous call from the Lee Chapel; Horwick, which he accepted, and entered upon his duties as pastor Nov. 25, 1843. He removed to Egerton, near Bolton, in 1848, where he remained only till 1853, when the Middletown Church, near Manchester, called him, and he accepted. His work was greatly blessed here; but in the midst of great usefulness, with a few days' sickness, he passed away, on Sept. 30, 1854. See (Lond.) Cong. Year-book, 1855, p. 206.