Banks, John (2), Dd
Banks, John (2), D.D., an Associate minister, was born in Stirling, Scotland, about 1763, and was educated in his native country. He was for some time a minister in the Presbytery of Edinburgh, but resigned his charge and crossed the ocean in 1796. He preached for some time to the Associate Congregation in New York city, and declined a call from that body in 1798. He was installed as pastor at Cambridge, N. Y., in September, 1799. Here he remained until June, 1802, when he became pastor at Florida, N. Y. He remained in this charge fourteen years, during which time he gave private instruction to boys and young men. In 1816 he removed to Philadelphia as permanent supply, and soon after opened a select school for instruction in Latin and Greek. Afterwards he took charge of the grammar-school connected with the university, and taught several pupils Hebrew. In 1818 he was installed as pastor of the congregation which he had served as supply for two years. In May, 1820, he was elected professor of theology in the Eastern Theological Seminary at Philadelphia. He continued to discharge the dutties of his professorship and pastorate until his death, April 10, 1826. See Sprague, Annals of the American Pulpit, IX, 3, 52.