Baker, John Christopher Dd
Baker, John Christopher D.D., a Lutheran clergyman, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., May 7, 1792. In consequence of the death of his father iin 1793, he was taken into the family of his maternal grandparents, where he remained until ten years of age. In 1802 his guardian, Godfrey Haga, placed him at Nazareth Hall, a Moravian Seminary, where he prosecuted his studies for five years. In 1807 he was confirmed as a member of Zion's Church, Philadelphia, and soon after devoted himself to the study of theology at Lebanon, Pa. Having completed his theological course, he returned to Philadelphia and preached his first sermon in one of the German churches. In 1811 he was regularly examined by the Synod of Pennsylvania, with which body he was connected until his death. A call was immediately extended to him to act as assistant minister to the German Lutheran congregation of Philadelphia, which he accepted. The next year he became pastor of the Church in Germantown, Pa., which parish embraced the congregations at Whitemarsh and Barren Hill, besides various preaching-places in the diocese. Almost at the very commencement of his career the English language was introduced into the service of the sanctuary. In 1818 a large new church was erected in his parish, which included Rising Sun, Nicetown, Chestnut Hill, Barren Hill, Manayunk, Roxborough, Frankfort, as well as Germantown. With this charge he remained fifteen years. In January, 1828, he succeeded Rev. Dr. Endress as pastor of the Church in Lancaster, Pa., where he labored for twenty-five years. The Sunday-school, which was then a comparatively new institution, was introduced by him into this church. For many years he was president of the Board of Trustees of Franklin College, and was also a director of the public schools. His health becoming impaired by his manifold duties, he resigned his charge Jan. 30, 1853, and removed to Philadelphia, where he assumed charge of a small mission church in the northern part of the city. His last sermon was preached May 8, 1859, and on the 26th of the same month he died in Philadelphia. As a preacher he was plain, practical, and edifying. His natural endowments were excellent. Astronomy was a favorite study. He was a leading member of his synod, and was an indefatigable worker. See Evangelical Review, 11:202.