Baker, James (2)
Baker, James (2), an English Congregational minister, was born at Barnstaple in April, 1816. While still a youth, he united with the Church. He soon began to preach in surrounding villages, and, after being a tutor for many years, entered the Western College in order to fit himself for the ministry. His first charge was Crediton, which he entered in 1848, and soon added the neighboring village of Sandford, where a handsome and commodious chapel was opened for divine service Oct. 8, 1848. His labors were attended with great success. In October, 1852, his health declined, and he died Dec. 3, 1853. See (Lond.) Cong. Year-book, 1854, p. 217 sq.