Baggaly, William an English Methodist preacher, was a native of Sheffield, born in 1808. He was left an orphan at the age of eight, but his pious mother took him regularly to the New Connection chapel, where he gave his heart to God in his youth, and his life to the service of God and his Church. He became a local preacher at eighteen, entered the ministry in 1828, and was privileged to exercise that ministry in nineteen of the most prominent circuits of England during more than fifty years. His aptness for business secured for him more official work than any other of his brethren. During four years he superintended the Irish mission. In 1850 and 1865 he was president of Conference. He was a guardian, representative, treasurer, and manager of the Beneficent Fund for twenty-nine years; secretary of the Chapel and Guaranty Funds for ten years; and treasurer of the Auxiliary Fund. He was master of all the departments of the Connection, and author of a Digest of the Minutes, Institutions, Doctrines, and Ordinances of the NewaConnection of which two editions were issued. He was a pastor, preacher, a brother, a friend. He ceased not his labors till apoplexy suddenly ended the earthly pilgrimage at Birmingham, Sept. 28,1879. He was interred at Sheffield Cemetery. See Minutes of the New Connect. Conference, 1880.