1. The stone soup or holy-water basin commonly found at the right-hand entrance of ancient churches, from which the faithful, taking holy water on entering, blessed themselves, making the sign of the cross. Many of these stoups, however, were destroyed, both by the Reformers and the Puritans. In the accounts of All-Souls' College, Oxford, in 1548, there is a charge pro lapidibus ad aspersorium in introitu ecclesice, the remains of which may still be seen.
2. The term is sometimes applied in Church inventories to the aspergillum, or holy-water brush. SEE ASPERGILLUM.